What you believe about yourself is often derogatory even though psychologists estimate that over 90% of your beliefs are unconscious and that most of your unconscious beliefs were created as a result of thoughts that you were positively and negatively programmed to believe.
Most of your core beliefs were formed when you were a small child. Counseling for your depression and anxiety can help you uncover these beliefs that are not serving you in your relationships and can prevent you from experiencing more joy.
People with low self-esteem often expect to be judged negatively by other people. People with low self-esteem also tend to expect more bad things to happen to them in general.
“Behind all your anger, fear, shame, and loss, beneath all your sadness and pain…is the need for love! Know that you are loved, even if you don’t know it! For you are a Being of light and love, a child of God, and one with the entire Universe! Each day comes bearing GIFTS; all you have to do…is untie the ribbons!”
– Author Unknown
Your self-esteem is your most precious asset. It is necessary for a successful life as self-doubt, not validating your feelings, thoughts of being undeserving all interfere with your sense of security and motivation to succeed.
Healthy self-esteem requires compassion, self-respect, acceptance and personal understanding of what makes you who you are.
Here are some tips for boosting self-esteem that I use with clients:
- Surround yourself with supportive friends and family.
- Realistically focus on things you can change
- Learn to nurture and soothe yourself.
- Be kind and generous to others as this helps you to feel good about yourself.
- Do what brings you joy and comfort.
- Replace judgment with childlike curiosity.
- Celebrate the small victories and your particular gifts; be grateful.
- Give up any notion of perfectionism.
- Be good to yourself through working your body and challenging your thoughts.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Learn to set boundaries without guilt.
- Find ways to feel your feelings and release them so you don’t collect emotional blocks.